Tuesday 26 January 2010


Amazon.com link: Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit
Name of Book: Knitting Little Luxuries - beautiful accessories to knit
Author: Louisa Harding
Any other info: Interweave Press, 2007, 978-1596680548

Types of patterns: Womens mostly accessories and a few garments, some of the scarves are pretty unisex.

Number of Patterns: 21 in total - Hat(5); Handbag (3); Mittens (1); Wrap (3); Cushion (1); Tabard (1); Scarf (3); Purse (2); Fingerless mitts (1); Cardigan (1)

Split of patterns: Womens

Size Range:33.5-47" (96.5-119.5cm) for the tabard; 34-45" (86.5-114.5cm) for the cardigan. Everything else is one size.

Colour/Black & White: colour throughout

Schematics: Yes for the two garments (cardigan and Tabard)

Target Audience: Intermediate with some stuff that a beginner wouldn't be too unhappy trying.

How to knit guide: Short one

Pretty Classical stuff.

Comments: This is divided into a few sections- Eclectic and Quirky; Textured and Modern; Pretty and Feminine and Traditional and Folk. Some of it is quite pretty and it is the kind of thing that someone more into girly stuff would like. Honestly I see about three patterns I like but nothing in this made me want to reach for my needles.

I've seen some of the garments in person and they are cute but not me, I'm not a person for handbags, I'm a shoulder bag person and I'm weaning myself off looking at neck fastening cardigans because they drive me crazy. One of the things I really did like about the book was the way some of the items were knit in different yarns, smooth and fluffy so you could see the way a different yarn could change the look. Also some of the embroidery and embelishment was interesting. So for me it was a glance through and get inspiration book. The one garment I was interested in has been reproduced in a magazine I get, so I have it already.

Buy/Borrow: Borrow to see what's in it and if you're really attracted buy. This is the kind of book that you either love or feel a bit meh about.

Where found: Dublin City Public Libraries have copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment